- What the people were like? Write a couple of points on the back of their business cards (which you remembered to ask for).
- How you did?
- Any questions you forgot to ask?
- Why you still want the job?
- Why you are the right person for the job?
Later that same day sit down and compose your email. Remember if you were interviewed by a panel then you want to send a personalized email to each person. Your “thank you” should be sent out within 48 hours. Why??
- You want them to read the email and remember you.
- And no point sending out an email after they have made the decision.
Your email should be formal, starting with
- “Dear Person’s Name” and ending with
- “Sincerely Your Name, Contact Info”.
The body of your email should be 3 or 4 paragraphs (4 maximum).
- First paragraph will be a general thank you for meeting you and what a pleasure it was to learn more about your company, etc
- Second paragraph will reiterate your skills and why you now feel like this is the job for you.
- Third paragraph – I’m looking forward to hearing from you at my number/email below.
A few final things:
- Keep it short and sweet/positive
- Proofread, proofread, proofread
For some sample thank you letters, check out about.com at the link below.Sample Thank You EmailLast thing to do – cross your fingers and wait for your job offer.
Good luck job hunting
Lynne Carlson started her career off in administration, moved to Cobol Programming and for the last 14 years worked in all things recruitment. Absolutely loves social media and excited about all the new innovations appearing every day!